Friday, April 11, 2014

My Challenge Project!

Hello!  As you know, I am on the design team for The Crafty Scrapper.  About two months ago, they gave the team members a challenge.  They gave us a bag of items, including a bunch of half moon shaped chipboard pieces, some with scallops, some not.  Also, paper tickets, a pearl chain, chipboard pieces like hearts, birds, and words, rhinestone shapes like a butterfly and a tree, a paper doily, tiny wooden spools, and buttons, an acrylic square, and ribbon.  The challenge was for each person to create something with every item given.  You could add items as long as you used all of the items in the bag.  They have been showcasing the end results for at least a week now.  You can check them out on The Crafty Scrapper's blog. Go back to April 2nd and then go forward to see all the challenge results.  Mine is on there today, but I wanted to share with you here too.  So, let's get back to my project ... Right after I got the "bag" of items, I was at my friend's Donna's house and the first thing we thought of when we saw all those half moon shaped pieces laying on top of each other was a birdhouse roof!  Why?  Who knows, it just seemed to fit and so, I went straight to pinterest to find some birdhouse ideas.  Let me show you the first photo, so that as I am giving you details, you know what I am talking about.  I also took a photo of the bag of items.  Enjoy!
 

 
A 3D birdhouse made from scratch?  I am really proud of what I made.  Now, for some details ...I got a pattern for the front shape from the internet and enlarged it.  I repeated the size for the back.  The roof line was the width of the scallop half moon shaped pieces.  I used more of the half moon shaped pieces on the sides, this time cutting them to resemble shingles.  I sponged some Grey Concrete Distress Ink on them and used an embossing folder to add a wavy pattern. Each panel was covered with scrapbook paper before adhering together.  One note I want to make here, is that I covered the chipboard panels the old fashioned way.  What I mean by that is that I mitered corners and the scrapbook paper went around the chipboard panels instead of how they do it now by adhering the papers only  to the edge and then sanding the excess away.  I debated about this, but decided to go with the way I know and most comfortable with.  Just FYI, the papers I used on the front and back is Pebbles Yours Truly Line, called Darling.  I got it at the store.  And the stripe came out of my stash.  It is Echo Park from Bundle of Joy line.  Of course, I used a My Favorite Things die to make that scallop edge along the roofline. To adhere the panels to each other I used a combination of scor-tape and what I refer to as Mary Jo's tape.  It is a double sided, 2 inch wide tape that is very strong but very pliable.  Here are a couple of photos for a visual ...
 

  
 
I also added a base for two reasons.  One to make it studier and two, so that I would have more place to add some of the "stuff".  From the beginning, I had an idea to add wire for the doily and ribbons.  When I got to that point, I took my birdhouse back over to my friend, Donna's house for her to see what I had done so far.  She suggested I add the wire to the roof instead of the base as I was thinking.  Friends = Good ideas!  There were only a couple of items in the bag that really gave me a "challenge".  One was the words ... Simply Real.  I went around and around with what do they mean?  In the end, I just added them to the doily and figured they could be interpreted in however you wanted.  All of the chipboard shapes and the paper doily were inked with distress inks for some color.  Here are a couple of close ups of the wire part ...
 

 
I added the stripe paper to the two hearts I placed on the front of the house.  The base is my favorite part.  I covered the base with Bo Bunny Double Dot green paper and did the My Favorite Thing grass die along the front edge in another Double Dot green paper.  I hot glued wooden bamboo sticks to the base and added the pearl chain to create a fence on two of the sides, and made a sign out of another bamboo stick with those tickets to create my "home tweet home" sign. The pre-printed home, tweet, home words came from my stash.  I didn't like the way you could see the hot glue at the base of the bamboo sticks, so I added some Flower Soft around each of the spots.  Perfect!  Here are a couple of close ups for you...



I also love the rhinestone tree in the small spool to look like a planter.  It stands up with the help of acetate and the rectangle stairs die from Art Gone Wild. ...  



There was one last item that was a huge challenge.  There was this acrylic square.  I had the hardest time trying to figure out what to do with it.  I decided to make a window in the back of the house.  Of course, I didn't decide this until the whole birdhouse was put together, so I improvised.  I put cardstock on one side and used a sharpie pen to draw panes, added a window box die (from Memory Box from my stash) and added a little flower soft.  Perfect!  Here's a photo ...


 
I know this was long.  But, I really wanted to share my process with you.  Thanks for letting me share all the details.  A shorter version is on The Crafty Scrapper's blog.  See you tomorrow for the Saturday sketch share.
 
Happy Stamping!
Tina   

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com